Monday, January 31, 2011

hit or miss


dress - modcloth
coat - vintage (hemmed by me!)
shoes - target
faux fur collar - asos
tights - kmart

Sometimes I get dressed, take the photos, open them on my computer and think ... no. This is one of those times. In theory, I really loved this outfit. I had it in my head for a while and thought all the neutral colors would look nice together but I think it comes off a little too granny-ish. I think it's the shoes .. too Easy Spirit for this outfit. Maybe I'll give it another go when my new high-heeled loafers come in the mail this week! More on those later :D

Real quick, though... about my coat! I ordered it on etsy, as I was in dire need of a coat that wasn't black. It said 40" long on the listing and for some reason I thought that would work.. forgetting how abnormally short I am. When it arrived, I tried it on and it was literally skimming my ankles. WAY too long for me! So I got my mom to ask around at work to see if anyone knew of a good tailor... but as soon as she told them I wanted a coat hemmed, they acted like it would be much too expensive for us. So I decided to take on the task myself! I'm shocked (and pretty proud!) that it actually looks presentable, what with my horrible sewing skills! I did make it a little shorter than I originally intended (might be okay at sewing now but I'm still pitiful at math) but I like it!

ps. If you follow my blog & have a keen eye, you'll notice my tv in this photo doesn't have contact paper on it yet. The photo is from last week, and yes, I'm kind of a cheater when it comes to "daily" outfit posts ;-D