Friday, May 27, 2011

Sailor Collar DIY



What you need:
A pillowcase
Light interfacing
Two buttons
An old sleeveless dress

First I should point out that I am probably the worst seamstress on the planet. The only thing I can do even remotely well is hemming, and even then I'm kind of iffy. This point illustrates two things:
a) I probably have no idea what I'm talking about. However..
b) If I can do it, you probably can too ;-)

When I saw this dress I immediately fell in love with the collar. However, since I'm on a strict budget now, I really couldn't afford to buy the dress (at that price I couldn't really afford it even when I wasn't on a strict budget.. lol) so I decided to try to restyle an old dress instead!

I got this dress for like $8 at a mall store a few years ago, and I think I've worn it one or two times. I'm not fond of the tank top look on top, so this was the perfect dress to alter! Since the closest fabric store is over a half hour away (and I don't drive) I just decided to use a white pillowcase, and it worked perfectly! Here's how I did it!

sailor collar diy part 1
sailor collar diy part 2