Sunday, April 17, 2011

exciting news!!

(image via LolasRoom on etsy)


It's official -- I'm moving to Toronto! ahh! I just found out yesterday that I was accepted to the University of Toronto to study art history in the fall. We're planning on making a trip to scout out apartments in late July, and then I'll make the move in early August! It's happening!!!

I am going to miss my family SO much though. I was so excited when I saw the acceptance message, and hurried down stairs to tell my parents, my brother and my grandmother. As soon as I said it, my brother gave me a hug and while I was hugging him I saw my mom crying, so I started crying and before I knew it, me and my mom were both having a sob-fest. My dad just sat in the kitchen with this look on his face like "I'm so happy for you but I'm going to miss you so much." He's really stoic and I know he was just as upset as my mom but couldn't show it.

As you can probably tell from what I've written in the past, I'm really, really close to my parents so this is going to be hard as heck. I'm teaching them skype so we can chat face to face, and my mom is changing our verizon plan to cover all of North America, so I can talk to them on my phone all the time too. My grandmom is going to stay with me for a month to help me get settled in (she gets my grandfather's pension, and social security so she can manage to leave work for a little while) and then my mom is taking all of her vacation days in November to spend my birthday month with me. Also, my parents are letting me take BOTH of the cats -- Hypatia and Chloe! Hypatia is technically my cat, so she'd naturally go wherever I go, but Chloe is actually the family cat, so it's really nice of them to let me have her, too!

My dad is applying to U of T next year for his Masters degree, and my mom might apply to finish her Bachelor's degree, so hopefully I'll only be this far away from them for a year. They wanted to stay here until Kyle turns 18. He doesn't want to move to Canada, so this way once he's 18 he can live wherever he wants to, and they can follow me up north. People have always kind of made fun of me for being so close to my parents, saying I should grow up and move on... but I think you can do both. I'm going to have my own apartment now, but I still want to be able to see them all the time. It doesn't matter that we're related -- they are my closest friends, and I don't think you should have to part ways with your friends just because you get older. Hopefully next year we'll all be together in Toronto, and this experience will have lost the "bitter" and only be "sweet" :)

So... I'll definitely be sharing more with you as I get more information. Oh, and in case you're wondering, Flapper Doodle will not be affected at all. I'll probably need to close the shop the week I move, but I will be running it out of my apartment in Toronto once I get there. Same goes for this blog... there might be some filler posts in July & August (and I would love some guest posts, too!) but I'm planning on continuing to blog daily even after I move :) As long as I have my laptop I'm set ;)