Friday, February 17, 2012

posh frock friday + a happy hypatia update!



dress, cardigan & tights - h&m
shoes - from my grandmom
belt - forever 21

I've been quiet about the Hypatia situation for a while, but yesterday I got fantastic news and I had to share. This week she seemed like she was improving, but I didn't want to say anything until she'd been to our vet for a follow-up and I could be sure :)

As I mentioned before, she contracted feline herpes which was causing a killer upper respiratory infection that she just couldn't shake. She also has a chronic condition where her body attacks her gums, so she gets monthly shots to suppress her immune system. When her doctor saw her two weeks ago, he told me that I had to prepare for the worst, and soon. The regular shots would exacerbate the URI, but stopping them would cause her gums to get so bad that she couldn't eat. He wasn't optimistic, but he gave her some antibiotics, pain killers and lots of fluids. I started giving her Little Noses saline drops (our vet approved), leading her to the food when she couldn't smell, and just doing absolutely everything I could to make sure she was comfortable, breathing well and eating. We all crossed our fingers and hoped for the best. AND IT WORKED!

At her follow-up appointment yesterday, her doctor was absolutely jubilant! Hypatia's gained a lot of weight (which I already knew because I was weighing her daily and keeping track... I'm that kind of cat lady lol) and the URI seems to have subsided. Plus, her mouth was fine, too! He doesn't even want to see her again for another three weeks!!

She's an older cat, and she has been having minor health issues for four years so I know we don't have forever. But honestly, after our last appointment I didn't think I'd even have one day, let alone five weeks. The vet thinks she's out of danger for now, so (knock on wood!) I get to keep my darling Hypatia for a little while longer. I can honestly say that I have never been so happy in my entire life. I have been crying almost nonstop since I got the good news, I'm just SO happy! She really is my everything, and even if our time together is limited I'm just elated that, for now at least, I don't have to think about saying goodbye.