Thursday, March 3, 2011

nutella cookies


These are out of this world amazing! I'm not a big chocolate/cookie/dessert girl (go ahead, revoke my right to call myself female. I'll understand.) but last weekend I had a giant sweets craving that needed to be filled. Enter, nutella cookies. They're really thin, but not crispy. Three days after I made them, they're still deliciously soft and chewy, with a swoon-worthy, close-your-eyes-and-imagine-you're-in-heaven combination of chocolate and hazlenut. Rather than feeding my fix, they practically turned me into a chocoholic ;-D

Here's what you need:

1/2 c. white sugar
1/2 c. packed light brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1-1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 c. nutella
1/2 c. butter/margarine

Preheat the oven to 350'. Melt butter in the microwave, then mix with both sugars using an electric mixer on medium. Then turn the power to low and add the egg and vanilla. Once that's all mixed, add the nutella and mix until blended.

In a separate bowl, combine flour + baking soda + salt. Add dry to wet, and mix on low speed until it's blended. I don't know if my mixer is just on its last leg, or if this mixture is really that thick, but I had a hard time combining it. Considering my mixer was like $10 at Kmart about 10 years ago, I'm thinking it's the mixer...

Once it's all smooth, scoop teaspoonfuls of the mixture and roll them into little balls. Space about 1.5 inches apart on a greased cookie sheet. The original recipe called for freezing the cookie sheets for about 10 minutes before baking, but I skipped this step since my cookie sheets don't fit in my freezer. I'm glad I skipped it, though, because the thin flat cookies were exactly what I was going for. If you want more puffy cookies, go with the freezer method.

Bake 6-7 minutes (or 7-8 if you put the sheets in the freezer) -- then let them cool for 5 minutes before removing from the sheets. That last step was really important. The cookies came out slightly undercooked, but the last five minutes on the hot cookie sheet finished the job :)

ps. I have NO clue where I got this recipe from! I know it's from the internet somewhere, but I can't find the original recipe. If you know the original source please let me know so I can add a link! :)