Thursday, October 13, 2011

star stuff



On last week's star stuff post I got two comments that mentioned The Big Bang Theory. I've heard of it before, but I never knew what it was until the comments piqued my interest and I finally looked it up. And um, I'm halfway through season 3 now.

The show is about four socially awkward scientists and I think my #1 wish right now is that they were real so I could be friends with them. There's this one episode where the guys get together to buy what they think is a miniature version of the time machine from the 1960 sci-fi movie The Time Machine starring Rod Taylor. When it arrives, it's actually the full-scale model that was used in the film. They joke about what a chick-magnet it'd be but OH MY GOSH. For real, if a guy told me that he had THE time machine from THAT movie, I'd go weak in the knees so fast I'd probably tip over. These characters are my spirit animals.

My whole life I've felt like such a loser. Rather than try to get along with people who possess social skills I never will, I'd love to be able to hang out with nerds like me who have just as much trouble with human interaction as I do, who share an interest in the same uncool things. We can talk about star stuff and sci fi movies, tell really corny jokes and give each other clumsy hugs and high-fives. Sometimes I think there should be a country (or planet, the left-brained among us could pull that off.) just for geeks where all of us could live and be awkward together. I think that's my dream.