Tuesday, November 8, 2011

DIY: sorcerer's apprentice {inspired} outfit


Hello, I'm Andrea from Paper Sparrow. I'm really exciting to be guest posting on Kate's lovely blog while she is visiting the happiest place on earth, Walt Disney World. I'm a huge Disney fan! I spent 4 or 5 vacations in Orlando as a kid and lived in O-town for the past few years before moving to New York. I was even lucky enough to get lots of free passes while my sister worked in the park as a musician.

Being a fan of the Disney classics, I wanted to make and wear a Sorcerer's Apprentice outfit inspired by the 1940 classic, Fantasia.



To make the hat I used a blue cotton blend fabric and a vintage pattern, McCalls 8254, that has a mini brim and somewhat resembles a cycle cap. I hand-stamped a star pattern with a stamp I had leftover from a D&G star-stamped dress I made a few months ago. With a base coat of white fabric paint followed by gold on top, it showed up really well on the dark blue cap! Speaking of Disney inspired hats . . . some of my favorite WDW time-wasting memories are of trying on Mike Wazowski and Viking hats in the gift shops! It is a tradition to continue.





Here's a little Fantasia Mickey set I put together on Polyvore.



(source)



Outfit Details:
Hat: Self-Made
Dress: Asos
Cape: Vintage
Gloves: We Love Colors
Shoes: Vintage

Finally, I made a silly conducting pose which the musican in me is laughing really hard at! Ha, I have no idea what I was doing during this shot : ) Thanks so much for having me on your blog, Kate, and I hope you have an amazing vacation!! xoxo Andrea