Wednesday, June 6, 2018

masterpiece



Today I'm going to see one of my favorite movies, Jules and Jim, on the big screen! It's one of the rare movies that falls into my "personal favorite movies" list and also my "best movies ever made" list. It makes my heart almost burst, I enjoy the experience of watching it SO much, but at the same time I think it's a perfect cinematic masterpiece. Most of my faves are fluffy 60's comedies and capers, or 90's teen horror flicks, or Fred and Ginger films (sidenote: if anyone else is a huge Fred and Ginger fan, The Film Society at Lincoln Center is doing a complete retrospective in July!) They're all super fun to watch but not necessarily Citizen Kane, you know? But Jules and Jim. Sigh.

I was talking about Jules and Jim with my dad recently, and I said it's like the movie version of the Mona Lisa. It's enigmatic, it's a great work of art, and you aren't entirely sure if it's smiling or not. And it deserves to be in The Louvre.