Monday, January 24, 2011

Style Idol - Clarissa Darling


New series! I've had this in my head for a while, and although I know the basic idea is nothing new I'm really excited about it! Each week I'm going to do a feature on one of my style idols, starting with my #1 style idol of ALL TIME. If I had any taste at all, I'd probably pick Audrey Hepburn or Coco Chanel, but no.. my ultimate fashion icon is Clarissa Darling.

I don't think any celebrity or character has had a greater impact on me - both internally and externally. My fashion sense has always been dictated by the words "Clarissa would definitely wear this!" and her personality definitely rubbed off on me too. (Unfortunately Ferguson also rubbed off on my brother, but that's another story for another day.)

I worshipped her as a child. My mom decorated my bedroom so it would look like hers, and even wrote to Nickelodeon Studios to see if they could send her the plans to make Clarissa's headboard .. I collected hubcaps and license plates (and a real stop sign! best birthday present EVER), and prided myself on my stylishly mismatched room when all my friends were stuck with frilly floral bed sets that their moms picked out. (ps. have I mentioned that my mom is beyond awesome?!) I emulated her in every possible way, and I'd be lying if I said I don't now. It's funny that a fictional tv teen can still have such a huge impact on my life, but she does! The show seems even better now than it did when I was a kid. It's just bubbling over with wit and wisdom, and exceptionally unique and amazing fashion.

I remember reading an interview with Melissa Joan Hart from when the show was still on the air where she was asked if she ever got to keep the clothing. She said she didn't even want to because it was too weird :-O I was shocked!! My nine year old self would have done anything to have her wardrobe, and quite frankly, at 24 I still would!