Saturday, March 2, 2019

my top five: podcasts



1. My Favorite Murder - If you're interested in true crime and you like podcasts that feel like you're eavesdropping on two friends in the middle of a conversation, I highly recommend this. My week revolves around the two episodes that they drop each week - a miniature one where they read listeners' stories on Monday and a full episode where they tell the stories of two murders every Thursday. The hosts, Georgia and Karen, are funny (they don't make fun of murder, they just make fun of themselves) and I feel like they're my friends, which sounds super creepy but I'm pretty sure 99% of MFM listeners feel the same way. (PS. If you're already a murderino, look at this.)

2. Pod Save America - This is the podcast that got me into podcasts. I started listening the month they launched, when they released President Obama's last interview as president. It's hosted by Obama staffers, including two of his speechwriters, and it keeps me sane while America is going through the weirdest, scariest time in modern history. Every Monday and Tuesday they break down the news of the day and then end with an in-depth interview. They are insanely smart, super witty, and they remind me of Obama which is *always* welcome. I saw them live at Radio City Music Hall last year and it was AMAZING. If you like the show and they're touring near you, definitely try to see them!

3. This Podcast Will Kill You - I found this one because Georgia from My Favorite Murder recommended it, actually! It's a podcast about epidemics and diseases in much the same style as My Favorite Murder, with two friends talking to each other (although it's definitely more thoroughly researched.) If you know me, you know that I'm obsessed with plague and pandemic history. I was shocked when I found this podcast because I thought I was a solitary weirdo for being so interested in this kind of thing. I guess that's one of the fun things about podcasts, even the most obscure topic will find an audience. They seem to post about one episode every two weeks or so.

4. Hysteria - This podcast is on the same network as Pod Save America, and it's entirely made by women (including my favorite Obama staffer, Alyssa Mastromonaco! I'm going to her book signing next week and I am SUPER excited about it!) These women are so sharp, and incredibly hilarious. They are also very insightful and thoughtful and often make me rethink where I stand on issues. Lately my twitter mentions have been making me feel very "mute all men" so I especially appreciate this weekly (Thursdays!) hour of exclusively female voices. Plus they are just very, very cool girls and (like MFM) I just want to be friends with them.

5. Why Won't You Date Me? - Each week (Fridays!) Nicole Byer talks about her love life and tries to figure out why she's still single. Even though this podcast is totally outside my area of interests (I have never dated anyone and I don't want to) I just love Nicole Byer so much and I think she is absolutely hilarious. Her energy and upbeat personality are so infectious, I always feel happier after listening to her.