Tuesday, March 22, 2016

breathless



Yesterday I got to see Breathless on the big screen in Princeton. If you're a fan of the movie, then my outfit should look familiar (if you're not, scroll down for a photo from the film) I've seen t-shirts with the Herald Tribune logo online, but I really wanted a sweater since that's what Jean Seberg is wearing in the movie (although hers has shorter sleeves and it's embroidered, so apparently my attention to detail only goes so far.) I got a ribbed turtleneck from ASOS a couple months ago and then waited until the last minute to paint the design at 2am the night before I wanted to wear it (progress photo here)

Breathless was one of the movies that first got me interested in foreign films about six or seven years ago, but I hadn't revisited it until I saw it again last night. I forgot how much I love it! I think it's a love-it-or-hate-it kind of movie, where people either really adore it or think it's vastly overrated. I clearly fall into the "really adore it" camp. It may be called Breathless, but it's basically the visual equivalent of a breath of fresh air.

I'm still working on honing my recommendations, but I'm planning on doing a series of posts here with lists of classic films to watch if you haven't tested the waters yet. It really only takes one movie - and it has to be the right one for you - to open up a whole new world of film that you haven't explored yet. For me the movie that made me a classic film fan was How to Steal a Million (celebrating it's 50th birthday this year, btw!) I saw it in winter of 1999 and it sparked a life-long love affair with cinema, which introduced me to so many other amazing movies I would never have watched otherwise -- like Breathless.