Monday, November 25, 2013

my cat-friendly menorah



My dad was raised Jewish and my mom was raised Christian, so I'm one of those lucky people who gets to celebrate both Christmas and Hanukkah! We've always made a bigger deal out of Christmas since my dad's family was never big on holidays, but lately I've been making more of an effort to celebrate both sides of my heritage this time of year.

The one hindrance to doing so in my own apartment is that I have very ornery cats (and, I have to admit, I'm a huge klutz myself) so lit candles are just not an option. Even if I sat at a safe distance with my cats locked in another room I'm pretty sure one of us would still manage to set my building on fire. Enter -- the cat (and Kate) friendly menorah!

I purchased this wooden toy menorah from amazon and simply painted the base pink with some leftover wall paint. The candles were already colors that I'm smitten with so I left them the way they were. Now here's the awesome thing about this set -- the little flames are removable! So you can technically "light" each candle! I love it!



Target is carrying wooden menorahs this year, too. As long as the shape is pretty you can really paint it any color to suit your own style! Obviously I will always go the pastel route, but I also think it would look so pretty painted white with gold candles and light blue flames!