Thursday, June 1, 2017

orange



There's a bit of an orange theme going on here this week, and it's for a good reason! Everytown for Gun Safety is asking people to wear orange this Friday (June 2nd) to raise awareness for gun safety. I decided to wear orange today, too, to make sure this post went up in time to hopefully inspire some last-minute orange outfits tomorrow.

In America we are TWENTY FIVE TIMES more likely to be killed by a gun than citizens of other developed countries. Every single day 93 Americans are killed by guns. 93. Every. Single. Day. That's unacceptable.

I've always been a proponent of gun control, but ever since the Newtown tragedy it's felt so much more urgent. No parent should ever be afraid to send their kids to school. Nobody should ever be scared to go to the movies, or to shop at the mall. Honestly if I had my way, I'd get rid of guns entirely. I hate that they are used for hunting animals, and I hate that they're used for killing people. I just don't understand the need for a machine thats sole purpose is to kill.

But most gun safety organizations, like Everytown, aren't actually trying to get rid of guns entirely. They're seeking common ground with people like me (guns are evil!) and people who are responsible gun owners that never want to see another American massacre. They want background checks and safety locks and reasonable, common sense laws that will keep guns out of the hands of people who might hurt innocent children or church-goers or college students.

Wearing orange tomorrow will help raise awareness for this vital cause. You can learn more, take action, and/or make a donation on Everytown's website, here.

I hope it goes without saying, but Everytown didn't ask me to write this post, I just really care about this cause and I hope that this post will reach some people who weren't aware of the tragic state of gun violence that's currently plaguing our country. 


dress - le bomb shop (old) | shoes - bait footwear
cardigan - modcloth (old) | brooch - vintage