Wednesday, April 3, 2013

collections: disney pins



One week from today I'll be in Disney World! So I thought it would be fitting to make my Disney pins the next installment in my collections series :)

I only started collecting pins during my 2011 trip and only started trading last year so I'm still getting the hang of that. My brother has been collecting and trading since we went in 2002, but he's more into getting rare collectibles whereas I choose my pins purely for sentimental reasons.



My favorite Disney movie is 101 Dalmatians, so that's what I love collecting the most! I'm so torn about getting the Cruella pins, though. She's technically part of my favorite Disney film but at the same time I really hate her character. I mean, she wants to skin cute little puppies to make fur coats, for goodness sake! Can a villain get any worse than that?!

My favorite pin here is the one in the bottom right corner. I have a similar Christmas ornament too (I think it was released in 2011) and I just think it's so pretty! I love the one with Roger as well. Roger and Anita are sorely neglected when it comes to Disneyana, in my opinion.



I won't bring these to Disney World, but I also have a little collectible pin set that my mom got me for Christmas last year. I love the tin that they came in!



Beauty and the Beast would be my second favorite Disney animation so I had to have this 20th anniversary pin! Has anyone been to the Be Our Guest restaurant? I went last year and if you're a fan of Beauty and the Beast, you have to go! It's so magical!!

Mary Poppins is another movie that needs more representation -- I was so excited when I saw this pin! I also found a Mary Poppins stuffed animal (stuffed person?) at the Disney store in New York last winter but I'm thinking that was probably more for the Broadway show. I'm just going to pretend it's for the movie though.

Mulan is my fourth favorite Disney animation (I know I left out my third, I keep forgetting to get a Little Mermaid pin, but that will be rectified next week ;) Does anyone else get goosebumps when she climbs to the top of the pole during training and sends the arrow down? It gets me every time. And don't get me started on the scene when everyone bows to her! *shivers down spine* Love that movie!



I also love getting pins that represent my favorite places in the parks. My favorite attraction is Philharmagic. It's a 3D show that makes you feel like you're in movies like Peter Pan, The Little Mermaid and Aladdin. You literally feel like you're flying over London and swimming under the sea, it's fantastic! And they have special effects too, like in the Fantasia scene when the mops walk in with buckets of water you can feel yourself getting splashed, and when Lumiere is singing "Be Our Guest" you can actually smell apple pie.

I also adore It's a Small World! It's such a happy ride, and the design is so fantastic. I think it's the ride I miss the most after my vacations are over, since it really represents how being in Disney World makes me feel. Just very, very happy.

And my favorite place to eat in Disney is Cosmic Ray's, so when I found this vinylmation pin version of the out-of-this-world nightclub singer Sonny Eclipse I HAD to get it.



Both of the times I've visited Disney World since I started pin collecting I've been there for the Christmas celebrations, so I bought pins to commemorate it :) This time I won't be visiting during any holidays but I like the idea of having one special pin for each trip, so I'll probably get one that says 2013.



And these were my first trades! I didn't end up finding any really special pins when I traded last year (none of my favorite films, characters or attractions) but now these are special to me just because they remind me of that particular vacation, and how fun it was to start trading!