Friday, February 1, 2019

someday



I just read this great article from refinery29 about how a lot of times single women put things off for "someday" when they're part of a couple, instead of living the life they want to live right now. The author talks about going to Italy despite always thinking of that trip as something she'd want to do with a partner, which was definitely how I felt when I booked my trip to Paris and Rome in 2016. I think most people, when they think of the Eiffel Tower glittering at night or a twilight cruise along the Seine, they imagine being able to experience that with someone they love, casually slipping your hand in theirs as you take in the magic together. But at 29 I was like "forget that" and I went by myself, and it was the best week of my life.

There are a lot of things I've still "someday"-ed though, and that needs to change. I someday buying my own place (partially because I honestly cannot afford it, but also because I'm a scaredy cat who likes having someone around to check under beds and take care of spiders). I someday trips to the beach. Yes, I can galavant around Montmartre solo but the idea of running into the waves by myself has always felt lacking.

One "someday" that I just decided to "right now" is hosting holidays. I always thought I'd have to wait until I was part of a duo, with a house of my own, before I could host a holiday dinner. But I'm officially doing Easter this year! I am 32 years old, and I've always wanted to do this. Why not NOW. I'm making ham and potato salad for my carnivorous mom & Grandmom and vegetable pot pies for the rest of us. I'm making roasted carrots and chocolate dipped strawberries decorated to look like easter eggs! I already picked up some cute cloth napkins from Pier 1, and started planning a grown up easter egg hunt for the afternoon.

A couple years ago I gave up on "someday" as far as it applies to love. It's not happening for me. But it wasn't until I read that article that I realized I've still, somehow, been clinging to "somedays" when it comes to traditions, big purchases, trips, etc. Not anymore :)


blouse - banned retro | cardigan - forever 21
shoes - bait footwear | skirt - vintage